Add to list Go to activity
Activity link broken? See if it's at the internet archive
Using simple materials from around the house and recycled materials, learners will engineer a grabber device to pick up and put down objects that are at least 12 inches away. The activity includes a time and age recommendation, a materials list, step-by-step set up instructions, tips for adults, learning and skills connections, and a note about doing STEAM with kids.
- Under 5 minutes
- 30 to 45 minutes
- free per group of students
- Ages 6 - adult
Materials List (per group of students)
- Recycled materials, such as paper towel rolls, cereal boxes, yogurt containers, etc.
- Assorted attachment materials, such as string or yarn, rubber bands, paper clips, brass fasteners, etc.
- Assorted craft materials, such as craft sticks, straws, pipe cleaners, index cards, etc.
- Tape and/or glue
- 2-3 objects to pick up, such as a small ball, cup or yogurt container, small toy, etc.
- Ruler or measuring tape
Engineering and Technology
- Human Body
- Model Building
- Free access
- All rights reserved, Boston Children's Museum, 2021